QuickBooks Error 1904 is mainly spotted if there is some damaged file/component or due to inappropriate location of the file. It also happens when the required components do not synchronize during your system OS (Operating System) installation. Preferably, it is necessary to reboot the PC after any upgrade/update. In many situations, QuickBooks Error code 1904 is blended with other error codes namely 1935 and 1402. The earlier discussed reasons you most probably can see in QuickBooks Installation error as well.
- QB installation error 1402
- QuickBooks installation error 1326
- QB installation error exe adapter error
- QuickBooks installation error 1602
To get rid of such issues, you simply apply the below-discussed methods as well as to resolve the rest of the QuickBooks installation related error.
- What is QuickBooks Error 1904?
- Causes of QuickBooks Error 1904
- Fix Error 1904 when you install QuickBooks Desktop
- Infographic of Solutions for Quickbooks Error 1904
What is QuickBooks Error 1904?
It is a common error that users come across during the installation process of QuickBooks. Error 1904 simply occurs when the system gets unstable or any important file gets missing from the database. It is usually caused when a system is not maintained properly and the files get misplaced and hence it causes the entire software to crash. When the error is encountered then it displays an exact format of the error message: Error 1904: [file path/name/extension] failed to register.
Read Also: QuickBooks Error Code 1935
Causes of QuickBooks Error 1904
There are multiple reasons behind the occurrence of QuickBooks Error 1904 that are enlisted below:
- QuickBooks installer file got damaged or is not working due to some reasons
- Missing components of Microsoft Operating system
- Might be using the outdated or expired operating system version
- Security application is not letting you install the QuickBooks
- Upgrading QuickBooks version
- QuickBooks users do not have enough permissions to install QB on Windows
- One can be the reason when there is a new operating system is installed on your device
- Hard-drive read-write having issues.
- The installation source may also create problems to create a location path.
Fix Error 1904 when you install QuickBooks Desktop
Execute the below troubleshooting methods to easily troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 1904 when you install QuickBooks Desktop:
Method 1: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool
- First, download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub from Intuit’s official website
- Next, save the software on your system screen once the download is successfully done
- Now, perform a double-click on the downloaded file and then follow on-screen instructions for successful installation of QuickBooks Tool Hub
- After that, move to the Home screen where you saved your software’s icon
- And then perform a double-click on the same in order to launch the program
- Once the application run then look for the Installation issues option within the Tools hub and select it
- Pick the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool in the next window and this will initiate the tool
- The further process will continue for about 20 minutes
- Finally, you need to simply restart your device and open your QuickBooks Desktop after the process is successfully completed.
Perform the given steps to activate the built-in administrator:
Step 1: Activate the Built-in Administrator
- Initially, press the Windows start button from your console
- And then type “CMD” in the search tab
- Perform a right-click on the “CMD/ Command Prompt/ cmd.exe” and then select the “Run as Administrator” option
- Enter the “net user administrator/active: yes” in the command prompt window and then hit the “Enter” key
Step 2: Switch to the built-in Administrator Account
- Simultaneously press the key “Ctrl + Alt + Delete” from your keyboard
- Next, select “Switch User Windows 8 users” and then click “Windows”
- Now, pick the user icon on the display upper right-side
- And then at a time, you have to press “Ctrl + Alt + Delete” once again
- In the end, select the icon called “Default Administrator Account”.
Step 3: Hide the built-in Administrator Account
- Press the Windows Start button from your keyboard
- Type “CMD” in the open search bar and then make a right-click on the “CMD/ Command Prompt/ cmd.exe”
- Select the tab “Run as an Administrator”
- After that, type “net user administrator/active: no followed by entering the key.
Step 4: Change installation directory security settings
- In the beginning, locate the “C:\Program Files\Common Files”
- Go to the “Common Files/Folder” and perform a right-click on it and then select the “Properties” tab
- Now, go to the “Security” tab and select the “Edit” icon
- After that, select “Users” under the icon named “Group or user names”
- Choose the following to allow the permissions:
- Read and Execute
- List Folder Contents
- Once done with that then click “Apply” followed by the “Ok” button.
Read Also: QuickBooks Error Code 1334
Step 5: Do try for QuickBooks Installation once again
In this step, you have to perform QuickBooks Desktop installation once again. Once the installation is done then you have to switch to the original user login.
Method 3: Fix Windows Components manually
One can also try another way by repairing some specific Windows components if the above methods do not troubleshoot. This method can only be tried if the user is a confident window or has an IT professional’s assistance for the process.
The two components that need to fix manually are:
- Microsoft .NET Framework
- Microsoft MSXML
Users can either repair these two files or uninstall them and then download the most recent version for them. Once you repair, QuickBooks Error Code 1904 will be fixed completely.
I hope, that the above-discussed rectification methods are enough for you to rectify QuickBooks Error 1904 with ease. After applying the above list of methods, your error will resolve but at some point in time, you may not be able to fix this issue even after the aforesaid quick and precise methods. In that case, you can seek Expertise assistance to easily rectify your queries related to QuickBooks.
What are the symptoms of QuickBooks Error 1904?
Ans: You might be experiencing several symptoms when QuickBooks gets infected with error code 1904:
The updates on your system will not be available automatically
Important QuickBooks company file got missing
Hard drive or other read-write devices face difficulties with permissions and several other glitches
Your device keeps sluggish as time passes
You might encounter a repeated error message on your screen stating that “Error 1904: [File path/name/extension] failed to register
What are the manual ways to rectify QuickBooks Error 1904?
You can manually fix this QB error code 1904 by:
Uninstalling your QuickBooks Desktop
Cleaning Install QuickBooks
Manually renaming all QB and Intuit folders
Running QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool followed by the QB Fresh Install.
What to do if the QuickBooks Error 1904 message refers to the QBversionTool.dll file?
In this situation, you are supposed to run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool and then change the admin settings by carrying out the following steps:
Step 1: Test the QuickBooks permissions
Step 2: Install the QB as an Admin.