In this article, we’ll tell you how to convert from Quicken to QuickBooks step by step with easy methods. If you have been previously using the Quicken accounting software but for some reason, you want to convert your Quicken files into QuickBooks then you can use the QuickBooks ‘Utilities’ option to convert from Quicken or you can use the Quicken Converter to perform this task.
You can straight convert your Quicken file to QuickBooks Desktop or you can as well use the Quicken Converter to upgrade your file first be depending on the version of Quicken version you are using. Read on the post ahead to understand more about the conversion method and then get begun with your switch to QuickBooks.
Read Also: QuickBooks Desktop Premier 2020 Upgrade
Still, many users prefer QuickBooks because of its user-friendly interface that provides access to many powerful functionalities that can bring a complete change in the whole accounting landscape. In addition to this, QuickBooks can also be used for creating multiple reports that provide drill-down analysis of business activities. This in turn makes it possible to analyze the overall business outlook through the accounting microscope. For QB Mac users, the steps will differ. If you are having issues while migrating data contact QuickBooks Mac support.
Points to Remember Before Converting from Quicken to QuickBooks
This is the list of few important things that you should consider and do before converting the Quicken file to QuickBooks.
The method of file conversion from Quicken to QuickBooks is invariable i.e. once the Quicken file is converted then it cannot be revert back and you won’t able to use these files in Quicken again.
Make sure to create a backup of the Quicken data that you want to convert, in case you may have to access this data in Quicken software.
If you have used Quicken application on Mac, then prime you require to change Quicken Mac files into Windows file because QuickBooks only change Quicken windows files.
It is important to backup all your data before making any significant change to it. Without a backup, it will be impossible to restore lost data. According to the value of the accounting data, you can choose to create a backup. For users who have opted for cloud hosting of QuickBooks company files, contacting their service provider would be the best idea. You, the service provider, will be able to inform you about the status of the backup that is maintained with them.
Convert to Excel Spreadsheet
Exporting the data
- Open Quicken and select the data that you want to export
- Click on the Export data button
- Select CSV format for data transfer.
- Quicken will load the whole data and convert it into CSV
- Select the location where you want to save this file
- After saving, open the file with Excel
- Go to File and click on ‘save as.’ While saving select the XLS or XLSX format
Importing the data
- Open QuickBooks
- Goto file and hover above Utilities
- Select import and click on Excel Files
- A new window with the name Add Your Excel Data to QuickBooks will appear
- Goto Advanced Import
- Select the location of the spreadsheet that you exported from Quicken
- Click Ok and QuickBooks will start importing all the data saved in the Spreadsheet.
Read Also: QuickBooks Database Server Stopped Working
For older versions of Quicken, data does not need any conversion. Users can easily import that data. For newer versions of this accounting software, the company file needs to be converted into the file for the older version of Quicken. After this, the file can be imported directly into QuickBooks.
When to use Quicken Converter Tool
- You’ll need to use the Quicken converter when the version of Quicken software is not the same as the QuickBooks version. For example, if you want to convert files of Quicken 2017 to QuickBooks 2019, then you’ll need a Quicken converter.
- If the version of both Quicken and QuickBooks are of a similar year i.e Quicken 2019 to QuickBooks 2019 then you do not require a Quicken converter.
- As we mentioned above, Neither QuickBooks utilities nor Quicken Converter cannot convert Quicken for Mac files. You require to change Quicken Windows or build a new QuickBooks Company file rather.
How to Convert from Quicken to QuickBooks using Utilities
Below discussed are the moves for converting Quicken to QuickBooks utilizing the in-built ‘Utilities’ option.
- Open QuickBooks and from the top of the index, the bar clicks the ‘Files’ option.
- From the drop-down menu, go to the ‘Utilities’ option.
- And then go to the Convert<From Quicken.
- Now locate and open the Quicken file with (.QDF) file extension on the computer.
- Follow the on-screen instruction to complete the conversion process.
Convert Quicken Files to QuickBooks using Quicken Converter
- First, download the Quicken Converter the same version as your QuickBooks Desktop from Intuit’s official website.
- After downloading Quicken Converter, open the application file and accept the terms and conditions and click the ‘Next button.
- After finishing the installation process of Quicken Converter, click on the ‘Finish’.
- To start converting, select the option ‘I am transferring data from Quicken for Windows and then Get Started.
- And then you need to browse the Quicken files that you want to convert and for this select ‘Open a data file located on this computer.
- When you found the Quicken file with file extension (.QDF), double click on the file.
- Finally, click on the ‘Convert’ option to start migrating data from Quicken to QuickBooks.
- Now, you can save the converted file on the computer for using QuickBooks later.
We hope that you found our article on how to convert from Quicken to QuickBooks valuable as well as useful. We’ve explained how to convert from Quicken to QuickBooks using both utilities and the Quicken Converter tool in simple steps. You can follow the steps given above to easily Convert Quicken to QuickBooks Data. To know more or to avail QuickBooks Data Migration Support.
What if the tool is converting 2 files for Quicken to QuickBooks conversion? What to do with another file?
The 2 files are .QDF and .QDX files both. You have to convert the .QDF file only. If you look for the upgraded .QDF file in the folder named Q17files or Q18 files that are located at the same location as your Quicken File. The .QFD also has the same name as the original Quicken file.
What if I want to convert the data from Quicken to QuickBooks Online conversion?
In the case of Quicken to QuickBooks online conversion, you have to first export the data into a CSV file then import this file into a QuickBooks Online account. After that, you are done. This is the process that you have to do without any issues and problems so that it can be done easily.
What about bank accounts in the Quicken to QuickBooks conversion data?
You have to connect with the bank accounts according to the data that you converted into your QuickBooks account. You have to check the accounts that are into your data and then connect them one by one. After connection, you have to categorize the transactions according to the bank rules.