QuickBooks error code 6177, 0 can be seen on the screen when the user attempts to access the company file. This kind of issue can be seen, when the company file is located on a server system and the user is trying to access the file locally. Networking issues, corrupted facts documents, outdated version of the software, installation failure of the software, and a few other reasons can be some causes of this error.
Why QuickBooks error 6177, 0 occurs?
Error Code -6177, 0 generally occurs when the QuickBooks application tries to use the path to open/access any company files but unable to do so. Another possible reason behind this error:
- Trojan attack
- File path or file gets corrupted
- Removing QuickBooks related system support files unknowingly
- Also when the company file is moved from one system to the other
- QuickBooks can’t use the right way to open any company file
Solutions to resolve QuickBooks error code 6177, 0
There can be more than one method to get rid of from QuickBooks error 6177, 0. We have listed below some of the most effective ones, let us check them out:
Solution #1: Updating QuickBooks desktop to the latest
Updating QuickBooks desktop to the latest available version is quite important, to maintain compatibility with the operating system, and also avoid various bugs that might hinder the way otherwise. Every new version of QuickBooks brings in various solutions to certain errors and also some really amazing features. The user can either update the software manually or automatically, depending upon the situation. Thus, it is recommended to update the QuickBooks desktop always to its latest version.
Solution #2: Updating the file location
Keeping company files on the server, or an external hard drive or cloud requires a change in the location. The following steps can be used to move to the local drive and then back to where it was.
Method 1: Moving company file
Note: The point to be noted here is that the user should perform the below-stated steps on the server computer. In case the user is not having the access to the same, then it is not a big deal. The following steps can also be carried out on one of the workstations as well.
- The basic step is to open the windows start menu on either the server computer or workstation.
- Once done with that, the user is required to type in File Explorer in the search bar, followed by opening the file explorer.
- Moving ahead, the user is required to look for and open the QuickBooks folder. The user can also press F2, while QuickBooks is open to get the location.
- Now, look for the company file that ends with QBW. This should seem like company file name .qbw.
- The next step is to write down the drive name and the location. After which, put the file back here later on.
- The last step in the process is to move the company file from the folder to the C: drive and then move the file and not the entire folder.
Method 2: Crafting a portable company file and restore it to the server
It should be noted that the company file is now on the local drive, and now the user can create a portable company file.
- The very first step is to open the QuickBooks desktop on the system on which you have moved your company file.
- The next step is to select the open or restore an existing company option.
- Now, the user is required to browse for and open the company file that is moved to C: drive.
- Once done with that, create a portable company file. This step helps the user to create a portable version of the company file that also resets the file location data.
- The user is then required to select the file menu and then select the Quit QuickBooks option. After that, the user is supposed to reopen QuickBooks.
- Moving ahead, the user should visit the file menu and then select open or restore company.
- Once done with that, the user is supposed to choose the restore a portable file and hit next.
- The next step in the process is to look for the portable company file that you created earlier and then open the same and tap on next.
- The user can select the drive the user originally moved the company file from, for restore location.
- Now, the user should select save and this keeps the company files back on the network.
Solution #3: Moving the company file to the local hard drive
- The very first step is to navigate to the company file from the server to the C drive.
- After that, open the Company File in the QuickBooks software from C drive.
- The next step is to make an easily portable file, followed by saving it to the company file to the local C drive.
- Now, the user should close the company file.
- And then, restore the portable file from the C drive and then save the same to the server.
- Moving ahead, the user is required to select the company file.
- And make an attempt to open the file from the server.
Solution #4: Manually fixing the file path
Another method to resolve this QuickBooks error 6177, 0 is to manually fix the file path. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
Method 1: Find .ND file
- First of all, the user is required to open the file explorer on the server computer and then look for the QuickBooks folder.
- Once done with that, the user is supposed to find the file with the company name and the .ND at the end.
- The last step is to right-click the ND file and hit delete. It should be noted that this step wouldn’t affect the accounting data.
Method 2: Configure QuickBooks database server manager
- To begin with, if you haven’t downloaded and installed the QuickBooks database server manager, then do it now.
- After that open the Windows start menu on the server computer and then type the database into the search option, followed by opening the QuickBooks database server manager.
- The next step in the process is to select the QuickBooks folder that holds the company files.
- And then, select the Start scan option.
- Moving ahead, the user is required to opt for the close option once the scanning process comes to an end.
- The user is also supposed to the folder permissions to share the company files.
Infographics of Solutions for Quickbooks Error Code 6177
Many of the QuickBooks errors like the 6177,0 can be solved with the QuickBooks File doctor. But the errors have to be registered under the program. You need to download the file doctor and install the program. Then simply running the program will help. The file doctor can pretty well solve the QuickBooks Error code 6177,0 which you get when opening a company file. Now you don’t have to be a computer geek to solve these issues.
You can solve a lot by simply running the file doctor and following the solution listed by Intuit. And once the problem is resolved you may again start accounting work with QuickBooks. In case you still get the error, you can always connect with QuickBooks experts. The team can handle the entire situation and provide you the best solution and correct information. Team members are happy to serve you with the best assistance.