The QuickBooks error -6000, -77 encountered when you or the user is trying to open the company file into QuickBooks Desktop. This happens when there is an issue with a company file like damaged, corrupted, missing, wrong location, folder permissions, etc.
Here, you get to know about the error shown on your screen, listed reasons, and the listed solutions to fix the error in this article. Just go through it and resolve it on your own with detailed solutions.
The error message is shown on your screen as:-
We’re sorry. QuickBooks encountered a problem
Error codes: (-6000, -77).
- What are the causes of QuickBooks error 6000, 77?
- Important tips before resolving the Error 6000, 77 in QuickBooks Desktop
- How many solutions are there to fix QuickBooks error 6000, 77?
- Solution 1- Run QuickBooks as Administrator
- Solution 2- Download the latest update of QuickBooks
- Solution 3- Rename QuickBooks Company File
- Solution 4- Re-create the damaged folder
- Solution 5- Use QuickBooks File Doctor
- Solution 6- Configure User Account Control (UAC) in your Windows system
- Solution 7- Rename .nd and .tlg files
- Solution 8- Try UNC Path instead of the Mapped Drive
- Solution 9- End QuickBooks task using Task Manager
- Solution 10- Configure Firewall and Security software settings
- Solution 11- Copy QuickBooks file on Desktop or another location
- Infographic to Resolve The QuickBooks Error -6000, -77
- How to restore the backup file of QuickBooks if there is damaged data while fixing the QuickBooks error 6000, 77?
- Does this QuickBooks error 6000, 77 happens in any of the QuickBooks desktop versions or editions?
- How to download and run the QuickBooks Database Server Manager if there is an issue with it and encounters the QuickBooks error 6000, 77?
What are the causes of QuickBooks error 6000, 77?
Many causes may vary from one person’s system to system. As there can be different root causes for the same error. So you have to find out your root cause to resolve the error.
These causes are as follows:-
- The Company File is damaged or corrupted
- QuickBooks is not running as Administrator
- The file name has special characters or spaces
- The permission of folder is incorrect that includes the company file
- When the authorization to server system is less
- When QuickBooks File is stored in the external device.
Important tips before resolving the Error 6000, 77 in QuickBooks Desktop
- Check that QuickBooks is up to date
- Backup your QuickBooks company files first before proceeding
- You must try to restart your software and computer also
- If your QuickBooks file is stored in external storage then transfer it to local drive and then open your company file
- You can do repair your QuickBooks software.
How many solutions are there to fix QuickBooks error 6000, 77?
Many various solutions help you to fix the problem. But with any of the best solutions, you have to know about the root cause of the error that happens in your system. The root may vary from computer to computer. So first get it and then pick the solution accordingly. The solutions are as follows:-
Solution 1- Run QuickBooks as Administrator
- In your Windows system, make sure that you log in as the admin and have all the Administrator rights
- Go to the QuickBooks Desktop icon
- Right-click on the icon
- From the shown options menu, select Run as Administrator
- This opens up the QuickBooks software with admin rights so you won’t face the problem. But still, the same error happens then try another solution.
Solution 2- Download the latest update of QuickBooks
- Open the QuickBooks and run it as an administrator
- In QuickBooks, click on the Help menu option
- Then choose Update QuickBooks Desktop
- In the open-up window on your screen
- Click on the tab named Update
- Further in the Update tab, you have to click on Mark All to select all
- Then hit on Save button to save the changes
- Now, go to the tab named Update Now
- In this, click on the Reset Update checkbox to select the Reset option
- Now you are ready so click on Get Updates
- After downloading the updates, close the QuickBooks software
- Again, open the QuickBooks and click on yes when it ask you for updates
- After completing the installation of updates, restart your computer.
Solution 3- Rename QuickBooks Company File
- On your system, close the QuickBooks software and other applications that are running
- Go to the QuickBooks Company file in the File Explorer
- Open the File Explorer
- Search for the Company File
- Then open the folder having your Company File in which the error 6000, 77 happens
- Locate your company file and then right-click on it
- Choose option Rename to remove the blank spaces or special characters from the name
- After correcting the name, click on the Enter button to save it to the company file with the correct name
- Now, open QuickBooks software and open the company file again to check for errors.
Solution 4- Re-create the damaged folder
- First of all, create the new folder
- This folder must be created in the C: drive
- Go to the folder that has the company files stored in it
- Locate for the file having the extension .qbw in the folder that you opened
- Now, click on the file that you located right-click on the file and select the Copy option to copy this file or press Ctrl + C keys to copy this file
- You have to go into the new folder and open it that you created before
- In the New Folder, press Ctrl + V keys together or right-click in the folder and click on the Paste option to paste the copied file in this new folder
- After this, you have to create the Windows permission access
- Go to QuickBooks and open the company file using the new location and check for errors.
Solution 5- Use QuickBooks File Doctor
- Firstly, Download and install QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Close all the applications and programs including QuickBooks
- Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub of the latest version into your Windows System where you are using the QuickBooks and getting an error
- Save the downloaded file to the default location if asked
- Go to the Downloads folder in File Explorer
- Then search for the downloaded file
- Double-click on the .exe file to install the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Then do the instructions shown on your screen
- Follow it and when it is done click on the Finish button
- After that, go to the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon and right-click on it
- Click on Run as Administrator to run the Tool.
- Then run the Quick Fix My File
- From the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Click on the Company File issues option
- Then select the Quick Fix My File tool to run
- When it is done, hit on OK button
- After that, open the QuickBooks software and company file to check for errors. Still, there is an issue then proceed to the next tool in Step 3.
- Now run the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
- In the QuickBooks Tool Hub, click on the Company File issues option
- After that, hit on the QuickBooks File Doctor tool
- Now choose the company file from the drop-down menu
- If the file is not visible then, click on the button Browse and Search and get your file
- Click on Check your File (only middle option) then Proceed further
- You have to enter the admin Password in QuickBooks
- Then click on Next so that the tool can do its work
- It starts scanning the file and its time is dependent on the file size and after that, it fixes the issue.
Solution 6- Configure User Account Control (UAC) in your Windows system
- Open the Run window
- Type Control Panel and then press Enter button
- In the Control Panel window, click on User Accounts
- Now, click on the User Accounts (Classic View) option
- Select options Change user account control settings
- You have to move the slider of the UAC
- Move slider to Always Notify and click on the OK button to turn ON the UAC
- Move slider to Never Notify and click on the OK button to turn OFF the UAC
- Reboot or restart your Windows computer
- Again, open the QuickBooks Desktop and check for errors.
Solution 7- Rename .nd and .tlg files
- Open the File Explorer
- Go to the location of your company file
- The location is C:\User\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company File
- The location is default so if you choose any other location for saving then go to that location
- Now search for files having extension .nd and .tlg
- Then one by one do this process to all files:-
- Select any one file that have any of these extensions
- Again, click on the same file to rename it or right-click on file and select rename option
- Mention OLD at the end of the file name then press Enter button
- The name of the file is changed
- You have to repeat this with all the other files with the .nd and .tlg extension
- When done, open QuickBooks and check for errors.
Solution 8- Try UNC Path instead of the Mapped Drive
- On your Windows system, press and hold the Ctrl key while doing the next steps
- You have to right-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon
- Then from drop-down menu options, select the option Run as Administrator
- QuickBooks Program opens up on the screen
- Wait for it to open the No company open window in the QuickBooks program
- After this, you can release the Ctrl key from the keyboard
- Now, go to the File menu option
- Choose the Open or Restore company option
- Select open a company file and then hit on the Next button
- From the left panel of QuickBooks, click on the Network settings
- You have to navigate to the location of the Company File
- Select the Company file that you want to open
- Then hit on the Open button to open and check for error 6000, 77.
Solution 9- End QuickBooks task using Task Manager
- In the windows system, open the Task Manager
- You have to press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys together
- The Task Manager window opens up open your screen
- Check that you are in the Processes tab
- If you are in on another tab then click on the Processes tab
- Locate for the process of QuickBooks that are running in the background
- Then click on the QuickBooks process one by one
- After selecting QuickBooks background process
- Click on the button named End Task that is on the bottom right side of the window
- So, you have to End all the QuickBooks tasks by selecting it and hitting on an End Task button as done above
- When you are done with closing all QuickBooks related background tasks, close the Task Manager window
- Restart your computer and then open the QuickBooks software with the company file to check for errors.
Solution 10- Configure Firewall and Security software settings
- Go to the Windows Start menu button
- In the Search field, type Windows Firewall
- From the results, open the Windows Firewall option
- Click on the Advanced Settings
- You have to right-click on the Inbound Rules and click on New Rule
- Click on the Program and then click on the Next button to continue
- You have to select This program Path
- Choose Browse button
- Locate and select the .exe file then click on the Next button
- Select the option Allow the connection and proceed by clicking on the Next button
- Now create a Rule and mention the name as QBFirewallException (name.exe)
- You are done with the firewall settings now check for errors.
Solution 11- Copy QuickBooks file on Desktop or another location
- In File Explorer, go to the folder that has stored the QuickBooks company Files
- Select the file having .qbw extension
- Then right-click on the file and choose option Copy that copies the file
- Go to the Desktop and then right-click and select the Paste option
- Your file got pasted over there
- Press the Ctrl key and then double-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon to open it
- Continue holding the Ctrl key until you get No company open window
- Open the company file with the desktop location where you have pasted your company file to check for errors.
Infographic to Resolve The QuickBooks Error -6000, -77
Need Experts Help?
How to restore the backup file of QuickBooks if there is damaged data while fixing the QuickBooks error 6000, 77?
1. First of all, open QuickBooks desktop on your Windows system
2. Then click on the File menu option
3. Further, select the option Open or Restore file
4. Now click on the Restore a file option
5. Choose the backup file that you want to restore into your QuickBooks account
6. Open the file properly by clicking on the Open button after selecting the file
7. The file opens up into your account and you are done.
Does this QuickBooks error 6000, 77 happens in any of the QuickBooks desktop versions or editions?
Yes, this is the error that happens when you are opening the company file in QuickBooks. So it encounters in any of your QuickBooks versions (2021, 2020. 2019, 2018, 2017, etc.) or editions (Pro, Premier, Enterprise, Accountant, etc.). So, you must identify the reason and then implement the solution to get it to fix.
How to download and run the QuickBooks Database Server Manager if there is an issue with it and encounters the QuickBooks error 6000, 77?
This can also happen when the Database Server Manager is corrupted or damaged or not installed on your server or network with your QuickBooks account. Then you have to download and run the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
The steps are as follows:-
1. For this, you have to download and install the QuickBooks Tool HubDownload the tool then save the file
* Go to the saved file and double-click on it
* It starts the installation
* Follow the shown instructions to complete the installation
2. After completing the installation, go to the icon of the tool hub
3. Right-click on the icon and select the Run as Administrator option
4. A pop-up message display on your screen to make changes to your system then click on the Yes button to allow
5. Go to the Network issues option
6. In this, click on QuickBooks Database Server Manager
7. You have to scan your company file
8. Click on the Scan Folders option
9. Then select the Browse option
10. Choose the folder having your company files
11. Click on the OK button to start the scanning
12. After the scan, fix the issues and then you are done.