The error “QuickBooks desktop payroll update not working” occurs if there is no active subscription to the payroll. To ignore or fix it you need to make your payroll subscription active. When you do update the payroll then it encounters in your QuickBooks account that needs to be resolved with proper solution. Here you get to know how to get it resolved and what are the more reasons that cause you the same error. You can fix all the problems on your own. Don’t worry all the information is provided by the expert support team who is here to help you by providing the solution.
Ten reasons that cause you this error are as follows:-
Various reasons help you in detecting the reason for this cause. It may vary from user to user. Not all have the same reason for the same problem. So this is also the important thing that you must know about so that you can do a solution according to it and resolve it.
The reasons are as follows:-
- An incorrect service key is used
- If your QuickBooks desktop is showing the Invalid Number status
- The file of the QuickBooks payroll is Update
- An inactive Direct Deposit agreement, it has more than 1 active payroll
- The EIN (Employer Identification Number) is invalid
- QuickBooks desktop has compatibility issues with your Windows version
- An outdated version of the QuickBooks software
- Invalid PSID company file
- Data is corrupted of QuickBooks
- The subscription of the Payroll is not active.
Backup QuickBooks company file
- In QuickBooks Desktop software
- Click on the File menu then select the Back up Company option
- Further, click on Create Local Backup
- In the open up window, select the Local Backup option
- Then click on Next to continue
- Now click on the browse button to search for a location for saving the backup file
- When you are all set click on the OK button
- After that, select Save it now and click the next button
- The backup starts and when it is done you get notified.
A solution for the QuickBooks Desktop Payroll updates not working
Here are the troubleshooting steps that you need to follow one by one to fix it smoothly without having any trouble in-between.
1. Method One:
- Firstly, you need to update the payroll Tax table
- For this, click on the employee’s menu
- Then select the option get payroll update
- After this, click on the link says to download the entire payroll update
- Then click on the Update
- When the download is successful; a message appears that you have to read “a new tax table or updates to your payroll tax is installed on your system. Select the OK button to read all the changes”
- Do click on the OK button to read it
- If you are still getting issues then you need to rename the folder by adding the old at the end of the name as CPS to CP SOLD
- After these changes, you have to update the payroll again
- If it is not working then do turn off the User Account Control (UAC)
- After the UAC is off, try to download it now.
2. Method Two: Try to download Payroll updates in Safe Mode
- Shut down your computer
- Then open it in Safe mode
- Again, download the QuickBooks Desktop Payroll updates
- When it is done successfully
- After that restart your computer in Normal mode
- Now, again download the QuickBooks Payroll Updates.
3. Method Three: Reset the Internet Explorer Browser Settings
- Open the browser Internet Explorer
- Go to the Tools menu that is 3 dots on the right side of the window
- Select the Internet Options
- Click on the Advanced tab
- Then you have to choose the Restore Defaults or Reset option
- Click on Apply button to apply all changes
- Then click the OK button to close the window.
4. Method Four: Repair QuickBooks Desktop software
- Open the Control Panel
- Then click on the Programs or Programs and Features option
- You get a list of programs
- Select the QuickBooks
- Right-click on it then select Uninstall/Change option
- In the open up window, select the Repair option
- Process the steps accordingly as shown
- This helps you in repairing the software
- When you are done, open the QuickBooks software and check the payroll process.
How to reach us?
Get Expert’s Advice to Fix Your All Accounting & Bookkeeping Problems
Should I take the backup before updating my QuickBooks Payroll to fix the QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Update not working?
Yes, you have to take the backup of your company data files after that do update your software to fix the problem. Backup is the most important thing.
The steps for backup are as follows:-
1. Open QuickBooks then click on the File menu option
2. Now, you will see the option Switch to single-user mode then click on it
3. After this, again click on the File menu option then select the Backup Company
4. Further, select the option Create Local Backup
5. A window opens up in this, click on the Local Backup
6. Then proceed further by clicking the Next button
7. Then browse and select the location to save the local back up into your system
8. When all set and ready, click the OK button
9. Click on the Save it Now option then click the Next
10. The backup starts and when it is done you are done.
What if I have to take the backup of my Payroll forms separately and then resolve the QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Update not working?
Yes, there is the way that allows you to take a backup of your payroll forms that is:-
1. Open the file Explorer into your system
2. Search for the “[company name] Tax Forms” folder
3. As this folder includes all the payroll data
4. Save this whole folder
5. After that, send it to your accountant
6. You also have to send the backup company file to them
7. Your account has to save both the things in the same folder after restoring it
8. When the accountant is done reviewing the things
9. Ask them to copy and send all the Tax forms folder to you again
10. Do follow the same steps to open it up on your computer for updated forms.
How can I download the updates in the Safe mode in case of QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Update not working?
1. You have to open your computer in the Safe mode
2. Then, again download the update of QuickBooks Desktop Payroll
3. When the download gets successful
4. After that, restart your computer in the Normal Mode
5. Again, re-download the update.