You can transfer QuickBooks from one computer to another using the Migrator Tool. This tool is used when you have the QuickBooks 2018 or above version with single-user access. This tool helps you to move your QuickBooks Desktop with up to 3 company files.
- How Migrator Tool Works?
- System Compatibility
- Process of Moving QuickBooks from one computer to another
- What are the things that you have to do after transferring QuickBooks from one computer to another?
- What data won’t copy from one computer to another?
- Can I transfer QuickBooks from one computer to another in any Windows Operating system?
- Is registration required when I transfer QuickBooks from one computer to another?
- If I mistakenly reinstall QuickBooks over an existing installation then what happens to files while transferring QuickBooks from one computer to another?
How Migrator Tool Works?
- You have to create the complex password that unlocks everything that you copies to your new computer
- Note down the password so that you won’t forget it. This password is required once and only for the Migrator Tool
- This tool copy up to 3 company files that opened to a USB flash drive
- The USB flash drive is used to move the files but the Migrator Tool does all the work related to technical
- The tool downloads the correct version of QuickBooks Desktop to the new computer where you want to move
- It also set up the QuickBooks with your files properly
- The Migrator Tool won’t reformat the drive or erase anything from your other files.
- You require a USB flash drive with enough space that can store your QuickBooks files. Many people required 150 to 250 MB. The Migrator Tool also tells you about how much space you require to have in a flash drive.
- Your computer must have a working internet connection.
Process of Moving QuickBooks from one computer to another
Before transferring QuickBooks using the Migration tool you have to do these things:-
- Firstly, make sure that you have the product and license information with you
- Uninstall the QuickBooks to reinstall it
- Download the QuickBooks installation files or you can use CD to do the installation on a new computer
- Then, you have to install the QuickBooks desktop.
After installation, do the registration in a new computer and the steps are:-
- Go to the Help menu option in QuickBooks Desktop
- Select option Register QuickBooks
- Mention the phone number of the business and the postal code of business
- After providing proper information the registration of QuickBooks on the new system is completed
- Intuit records the registration details for the new computer.
To set up and use the Migrator Tool
The Migrator Tool helps you to transfer QuickBooks with a simple process. You have to follow these steps to set up the migrator tool and then use it.
Step 1- On the OLD Computer
- In QuickBooks Desktop
- Click on the File menu option
- Further, select the Utilities option
- Hit on the option Move QuickBooks to another computer
- Click on I’m ready
- After this, create the one-time password
- You get few instructions shown that you have to follow to choose the USB flash drive
- Now, wait for the files to be copied.
Step 2- On the New Computer
- First of all, insert the USB Flash Drive into the new computer
- The Migrator tool won’t open automatically because of the restrictions of Windows security
- You have to open the flash drive to view the files
- Then double-click on the file namedMove_QuicckBooks.bat
- This file helps you to start the Migrator tool
- Provide the password that you created in old computer
- Click on the Let’s Go to continue
- You have to wait for the tool to finish.
When you are done with the migration then the Migrator Tool removes the QuickBooks files using the USB flash drive automatically. On your old computer, the files are still there. It is recommended that you have to rename the files so that you won’t use any wrong files.
What are the things that you have to do after transferring QuickBooks from one computer to another?
There is still some information that won’t copy so, you have to take a few more steps to get that missing information on your new system.
This depends on what you have in the old computer and not on a new one that you required are:-
- Sign in to Intuit Data protect to set up the scheduled backup
- Creating the backup of your company file on the new system is always a good idea
- Sign in to the Payroll and Payment services
- Move on any additional company files from your old computer to a new computer.
What data gets copied from one computer to another?
The tool copies all the data that is more important and required to set up and run the QuickBooks Desktop on your new computer. No data deletion is done on the old computer.
List of things that are copied by tool from old to a new computer:-
- QuickBooks Desktop software related details including the version of it
- Other details that are required to install QuickBooks on a new computer
- Spell Checker
- Cash Flow Projector (.cpf)
- Custom templates, forms, and related files
- Local Attachments
- Recent company files- up to the last 3 company files that were opened on the old computer. It includes the sample files also
- QuickBooks letters and templates
- Scheduled and memorized reports
- Financial Statement Designer (FSD Clients)
- Printer Setting (PrintIng.ini, wpr.ini, and QBPrint.qbp)
- Loan Manager (.lmr)
- Advanced Reports (For QuickBooks Enterprise)
- Financial Statement Designer (FSD Data)
- Business Planner (.bpw)
- Statement Writer (for QuickBooks Accountant).
What data won’t copy from one computer to another?
- Backup Files- The backups that are done manually won’t get copied to a new computer.
- Payroll and Payment setup- The payroll and payment services setup done by you on the old computer won’t go to a new computer. You have to sign in again on a new computer to do all the setup.
- Older Company Files- The company files that you have not opened recently won’t get copied on a new system. It copies only the last 3 files that you access on the old computer.
- Multi-User setup- The settings of a multi-user setup won’t be copied to a new computer so you have to do it again.
- Intuit Data Protect- Uninstall it on the old computer and install it on a new computer. Then sign in to it and do the setup process. All the older backups are available.
Need Experts Help?
Can I transfer QuickBooks from one computer to another in any Windows Operating system?
Before transferring the QuickBooks, check what version of QuickBooks it is. After that, check the Windows version of a new computer. Then check that the Windows operating system of the new computer is compatible with the QuickBooks version that you want to transfer.
Is registration required when I transfer QuickBooks from one computer to another?
Yes, you have to register again as you have moved the installation from one computer to another.
So the steps are:-
1. In QuickBooks Desktop on a new computer
2. Click on the Help menu option
3. Then select the option Register QuickBooks
4. Provide all the information that is required and important
5. The intuit automatically detects the registration status of the copy your QuickBooks
6. After recognition, it records the information for the new computer, and you are done.
If I mistakenly reinstall QuickBooks over an existing installation then what happens to files while transferring QuickBooks from one computer to another?
If you reinstall over an existing QuickBooks application then it won’t affect your company files at all. You can easily open the company file in QuickBooks software in the normal way as you did before.