-IRS W-2 form is nothing but a statement containing the salary/wage paid information to an employee by his employer. This includes information on the taxes deducted from his paychecks. In preparing tax returns, the information on the W-2 form is essential for employees. Before going through the process of how to print W-2 in QuickBooks Desktop and Online, it is important that you should know the printing requirements.
Now, let’s understand the printing requirements required for QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop W-2 forms.
Requirements for printing in QuickBooks Desktop
Before you print the W2 form, it is pretty important to know what and all requirements you need to have:
- To print the W2 form on the QuickBooks Desktop, you need to use black ink and print it on paper.
- Make sure that you use the supported version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- You have to have W-2 documents that operate with your printer and payroll service.
- Make sure that you have an active Payroll Standard or Enhanced Service for QuickBooks.
- Using blank / perforated paper or pre-printed laser printer types.
- Check that it is consistent with the QB version of Payroll.
- Using the preprinted forms for your inkjet printer now.
- It is also important to have the latest tax table of Payroll.
Step by step guidelines to print W-2 form in QuickBooks Desktop
Once you have finished with the Desktop printing specifications, let’s review the steps for printing W-2 forms:
Step 1: Open W-2 form from QuickBooks Desktop
- In the beginning, go to the Employees section and then click payroll tax forms >> W-2s
- Next, click the payroll forms process
- Choose tax statement transmittal and annual Form W-2/W-3 wage
- Then hit the “Create form” button
- In case, you need to file the forms of all your employees then select all employees
- Along with that, hit the last name of the employee
- Add/Introduce the year of the form you are printing and then press OK. Only one version of the tax form is saved for QuickBooks Desktop. If the QuickBooks 2017 version of the form is already available, but you need to print W-2 forms for 2016, you need a newer version of the form to use it.
- You have to pick the employees to print the form. You have to click on review/edit if you haven’t read all your W-2 forms. To continue the printing process, you need to click on the submission form. Also, to print the type, choose the workers. If your W-2 forms have not been reviewed, click review/edit
- At last, hit the print/e-file button.
Step 2: Choose the paper type and item as well to print in the W-2 and W-3 forms window
- In the very first, choose the with option preprinted forms or blank/perforated paper
- Under the section of the select item to print, you have to select for whom you want to print
- W-2 – Copy D: for your records, 2/page.
- Instructions for employer filing: for W-2 as well as a W-3 form.
If you’re using perforated/blank paper
- 4/page: copies B, 2, 2, C
- 3/page: copies B, 2, C
- Instructions for Employee filing: Needed if not printed on paper already
If you’re using preprinted forms
- Copy 2 of W-2: for your State or Local Tax Department, 2/page.
- W-2 – Copy B: for the annual tax return of an employee, 2/page.
- W-2 – Copy C: records for an employee, 2/page.
- Instructions for Employee filing: Required if not already printed on paper.
- W-2 – Copy A: for the SSA, 2/page.
- W-2 – Copy 1: for the Department of State or Local Tax, 2/page.
Step 3: Export the form and start printing in your PDF Reader
- You need to do a printing test if you are using preprinted forms.
- Now, you need to print your PDF by clicking on it.
- Finally, start from inside the PDF Reader with the printing process.
Requirements for printing in QuickBooks Online
- Before preceding the steps for printing the W-2 type in QuickBooks Online, there are a few things to consider:
- You must print employee W2s on 4-up horizontal blank perforated paper.
- Please ensure that black ink is used.
- You should have a QuickBooks Online Payroll subscription that is active.
Printing steps for W-2 forms in QuickBooks Online
Check out the process to print W-2 forms in QuickBooks Online:
- The very first, go to the taxes tab >> payroll tax section
- Hit annual forms and then choose and click either all employees or a specific employee name
- Next, hit W-2, copies B, C & 2
- Along with that choose the accurate range of date from the period menu
- In the final step, to open the printable forms, click on the view, and then click on the printer icon.
You can save time by printing the W2 form in QuickBooks Online and Desktop. Printing W2 from QuickBooks also helps you to skip the step of manually entering the worker’s information. With the above-provided step by step instructions help you to easily do how to print W2 in QuickBooks Desktop and Online. Additionally, you are also going to learn the requirements to print the W-2 form.