Learn the Steps to Open the QBX File in QuickBooks
A QBX file signifies an accountant’s transfer copy of a QuickBooks company file (.QBW). A company file in QBX format is restricted to edit and add journal notes. In case your client has sent you a QBX file, you cannot open or access it until you either convert it to a regular accountant’s copy file (QBA) or company files (QBW). You are allowed only open or convert the saved files in the latest QuickBooks version. For more detailed information about the QBX file conversion, you can contact QuickBooks Help Desk Phone contact.
There are many accidental situations that result in the damage of the crucial QuickBooks Company file data and even the worst is when there is no backup created. You only have the Accountant’s Copy of the file (.qba or .qbx). QuickBooks is featured to perform conversion of the Accountant’s Copy to a working QuickBooks data file (.qbw). For that, you will have to again enter if any changes made to your company file once the Accountant’s Copy is created successfully. In case you are trying to open and implement the Accountant’s Copy from a client, you can easily open and convert the Accountant’s Copy transfer file.
You will have to follow certain steps to convert the QBX file (Accountant’s Copy) and open it in the QuickBooks application. The below steps are for the QBX files that are created by the Accountant 2015 version. Follow the steps as mentioned below:
13 Steps to Convert the QBX Files
- Start QuickBooks application to the No Company Open screen
- Go to File -> Send Company File -> Accountant’s Copy
- Then convert the Accountant’s Copy to Company File (QBW)
- Go to the Open Accountant’s Copy to Convert window
- Search and select the Accountant’s Copy file that you want to convert. ( The accountant copy files have a .QBX or .QBA extension)
- Click Open
- You can see a dialog box comprising of details about the process and limitations
- Click OK to continue
- Go to the QuickBooks File window
- In the Name field enter the file name and location of the copy you are going to create
- Save the file as .QBW
- Prompt to confirm file conversion will open -> Click OK
- Now you will get the new .QBW file
Once the accountant file (.QBX) is successfully converted to (.QBW) company file it is not possible to import the accountant’s changes into the new file. The conversion steps are similar for QuickBooks Premier, Pro, and Accountant 2007 through 2015 version.
If you face any problem in handling the above steps you can connect with the QuickBooks Customer Service team. You can call the toll free number, email, or choose the chat option. You are assured complete support and assistance in the shortest wait time. Call the toll-free number + contact and garner the best QuickBooks services.
How to open a QBX file in QuickBooks Desktop Premier Edition 2018?
To open a QBX file in QuickBooks Desktop, you need to convert a QBX file to a normal QBX file:
1. First, open an appropriate file (.QBX or .QBA)
2. Go to the File menu and select “Send Company File >> Accountant’s Copy
3. Next, select the option “Convert Accountant’s Copy to Company File/QBW
4. And then hit the Ok tab
5. After that, choose the location where you want to save the converted .QBW file
6. At last, select the Save followed by Ok tab.
How to open a QBX file without QuickBooks?
The transfer copy of the QuickBooks company file is known as QBX. You can’t use the file directly; you’ll need to convert it to a QBW file if you want to change it or open it without QuickBooks.
1. To open QBX file without QuickBooks then first open your “Excel”
2. Select the Import option by going to the File menu and click “From Other Sources”
3. From the import page, you have to choose .qbb file and then convert the QuickBooks file to Excel
4. At last, look for the QBB file and open the same.
Once you completed the above steps then you have to follow the same to convert QBX file to a regular QBW (QuickBooks company file) as described in the previous answer.
Is it important to know the major difference between QBW and QBX files before I open a QBX file in QuickBooks?
Yes, make sure you know the exact difference of both QuickBooks extensions that are QBW and QBX. When you first started using QuickBooks, you created a company file called QBW. This is the complete file for your business. This file should not be copied, cut and pasted, or otherwise altered or jeopardized.
Whereas a QBX file is a transfer copy of a QuickBooks company file made by an accountant. Apart from inserting journal notes, a company file in this format cannot be modified. If a client sends you a QBX file, you must convert it to a “normal” accountant’s copy file (QBA) or a company file before you can use it (QBW). Only files saved in the latest edition of QuickBooks or the year prior can be opened or converted.