Like other accounting software, QuickBooks Desktop is also prone to certain errors that can’t be ignored. There is a huge list of technical bugs that are faced by QB users and PDF & Print problems are among them. It is the usual errors encountered due to plenty of reasons that you’ll come to know in the below article. A Tool called Print and PDF Repair tool can easily fix the error. This tool is introduced by QuickBooks developer Intuit, to help you in rectifying issues related to PDFs, invoices, etc. Sometimes, the error may be a bit tricky to resolve, don’t worry! We will explore the detailed instructions steps to troubleshoot PDF and Print problems with QuickBooks Desktop.
Sorry! We couldn’t save your form as a PDF file.
The action you take:
Try saving the form again.
Close all other open programs, and then save the form again.
Note: If the form doesn’t display correctly in Print Preview, this could indicate a printing problem.
If you’re still having problems, run the PDF Print & Repair Tool.
Causes behind the occurrence of the PDF and Print problems with QuickBooks Desktop
Plenty of factors is responsible for the occurrence of the errors. A few of them are jotted down:
- Missing some part of the PDF record
- Your current QuickBooks Desktop is not updated
- PDF converter might be discontinued
- Print Driver is no more in working
- No connection is made between the printer and the framework
- The Print programming is not adequately introduced.
Solution Steps to troubleshoot PDF and Print problems with QuickBooks Desktop
There is more than one method available and can be performed after identifying the actual causes. So, it is pretty important to know the possible reasons for the error before you proceed with any methods:
Read Also: QuickBooks unable to locate pdf viewer Chat Now
Method #1: Run QB Print & Print Repair Tool from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
It is one of the best solutions to rectify the PDF and Print issues. This method mainly involves two steps:
Step #1: Download and Install QuickBooks Tool Hub
It helps you to fix common issues and to get a better experience, it is suggested you use Tool Hub on Windows 10, 64-bit.
- Initially, Close your QuickBooks Desktop
- Next, suggest you download the most recent version of the QB Tool Hub
- Save the file somewhere you can easily find it
- Now, open the downloaded file named QuickBooksToolHub.exe
- Perform the instructions that appear in the installation wizards
- Along with that, agree to the terms and conditions which are prompted
- Once the installation is completed then make double-click on the icon to open the Tool Hub.
Step #2: Run the QuickBooks PDF & Print Repair Tool from the Tool Hub
- Go to the Program Problems in the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Choose the option named “QuickBooks PDF & Print Repair Tool”
- It takes a minute to run
- Finally, try to print, email, or save the file as a PDF from QB Desktop once again.
Method #2: Check if the Reconciliation Window is Off-Screen
If the QuickBooks desktop software lockup appears after selecting a solution from the banking menu, however, if the PDF functions are turned on, the solution window may be displayed outside the screen.
In such a case, choose ‘Window Menu’ and inspect whether the solution window is listed or not.
Select the option, Close All, and start the solution process once again.
Method #3: Test, Restore, reinstall, and Change Permissions for XPS Document Writer
Note: The user needs to consider a few points before starting this process. You must be wondering what those points are, to make it easier for you, we have detailed those points beneath:
Intuit does not support Microsoft applications and is also not accountable for running all of these tools.
If the user feels inconvenient in displaying these tasks, it is advised that they should seek an IT professional to complete the same tasks to avoid any disturbances.
Now comes the process:
Step #1: Primary step is to test the XPS Document Writer by simply printing it outside of QuickBooks.
- To get started, the user has to select the ‘Print’ option from the ‘File menu.
- After that, select ‘Microsoft XPS Document Writer’ from the list of printers in the Print window.
- Now, save the ‘.xps file’.
- Finally, go to the desktop and find the .xps file:
- Some situations may be faced, one of that is if the file is not there and the user did not encounter an error while saving it. There may be a security setting that prevents the user from printing on XPS Document Writer.
- If the .xps file exists, the user is needed to open it. If the user experiences any kind of error opening the file, or if the file does not appear properly, the user needs to reinstall XPS Document Writer.
- Finally, if a user encounters a problem with QuickBooks Desktop when trying to print, that also needs to be reinstalled.
Now comes step 2, which has two parts, namely A and B.
Step #2: Reinstalling Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Part A: In the first part, the user needs to ‘confirm whether the XPS Services are enabled or disabled.
Part B: In the second part, the user should reinstall XPS Document Writer.
Let’s look at each step one by one.
Part A: By following simple steps, the user can confirm whether XPS services are enabled or disabled
- Click on ‘Windows key’ along with pressing ‘E key’ to open Window Explorer.
- In the upper left, select the ‘Computer tab’.
- Select Uninstall option or Change program under the System group.
- Now, the user must toggle ‘Turn Windows features on’ on or off on the left.
- Finally, scroll down and confirm both XPS Services and XPS Viewer are enabled.
Part B: Reinstalling XPS Document Writer in Windows 8 and Windows 7/Windows, Vista
For Windows 7/Windows Vista:
- To begin, the user has to choose the ‘Devices and Printers’ options from the ‘Windows Start’ menu.
- Now, select ‘Microsoft XPS Document Writer Icon’, followed by ‘Remove Device’.
- To continue and verify, select ‘Yes’.
- Select the ‘Add a Printer’ and ‘Add a Local Printer’ options from the toolbar respectively.
- After that, select the option ‘Use an existing port’.
- Also, select ‘XPSPort: (Local Port)’, and then hit ‘Next’.
- Now, the user has to select ‘Microsoft’ and then ‘Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4’ from the manufacturer list.
- Then tap on ‘Next’.
- The last step is to select the ‘Change current driver’ option and click on the ‘Next’ option.
For Windows 8:
- To get started, the user has to hover the mouse in the lower or upper right corner to display the ‘Start Screen’.
- Now the user has to select ‘Settings > Control Panel > Devices and Printers’.
- Proceeding, the ‘Microsoft XPS Document Writer’ icon needs to be selected, followed by ‘Remove device’.
- The user will now have to choose the ‘Yes’ option to give confirmation.
- From the toolbar, choose the ‘Add Printer’ option, followed by the ‘Add a local printer or network print’ option along with the manual settings option.
- The next step is to pick the option ‘portPrompt’ i.e. use the local port as an existing port.
- Click on the ‘Next’ option to proceed.
- The user is needed to press the ‘Microsoft’ option, and then ‘Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4’ from the manufacturer list.
- Click on the ‘Next’ option again
- Now, choose the option ‘Change current driver’ and then click on ‘Next’.
- Remove v4 in the Printer Name field, thus, the name is ‘Microsoft XPS Document Writer’.
- The last step is to press the ‘Finish’ tab and you are good to go.
Step #3: In step three, the user needs to change the Windows user permissions for XPS Document Writer
If either way, the Windows user does not have permission to print to the XPS document writer, in that case, the QuickBooks software can’t make the .xps file. Also, the user must be logged in with administrator rights to change these permissions.
- The first action is to open ‘The Printers Control Panel in Windows.
- And then, right tap-on ‘Microsoft XPS Document Writer’, followed by ‘Printer Properties (Windows 7 and 8) or Properties (Windows Vista)’.
- Now, click on the ‘Security’ option.
- Select ‘Everyone User Group’.
- This step is optional. If each group does not appear in the list, the user can take the necessary actions, including:
- Hitting the ‘Add button’.
- Entering the word ‘Everybody’ in the field and
- Tap on ‘Check Name’ and hit ‘OK’.
- Moving on, the user has to select ‘Print’ in the Permission column and hit the ‘OK’ tab.
- Now, the user needs to navigate to ‘C:\Windows\System32\spool in Windows Explorer.
- In this step, the user has to select the ‘Printer’ option and select ‘Properties’.
- Then hit ‘Security’
- Now click on the ‘Edit’ option.
- Moving on, click on the ‘Add’ option.
- Type ‘Local Service’ and choose ‘Enter’.
- Ensure the local service has ‘Full Control’ on and then choose ‘OK’.
- Open QuickBooks and try to ‘Create a .pdf file’.
Step #4: In this step, the user needs to edit the security software settings
Sometimes the creation of .xps files can also be blocked by a set of security software such as Norton Antivirus or McAfee Firewall. Thus, the user needs to check those setting on their security software and ensure that .xps files are not blocked.
Step #5: Moving on, the user needs to make a new template for the form
If the template of the user’s form gets damaged, then this problem can be faced. Thus, in such cases, the user needs to create a new template for his form.
- The first step is to make a new template for the form.
- After that modify the template on the transaction.
- And finally, create a .pdf file.
Step #6: The last step is to bypass the print spooler
- Once the user has finished the earlier steps, it’s time to install XPS Document Writer to bypass the print spooler.
- To start with, the user must open the ‘Printer Control Panel’ in Windows.
- After that, right tap on ‘Microsoft XPS Document Writer’, then pick ‘Printer Properties or Properties’ depending on the user’s windows.
- Now, choose the ‘Advanced tab’ option and later pick ‘Print directly to printer’.
- The final step is to save the changes and click on ‘OK’ to close ‘Printer Properties’.
Method #4: Renaming or Removing the Printer file
If the above methods fail to fix the problem, in that case, the user can delete the damaged file and create a new one.
The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- The user must first search and find the files.
- After that, rather than deleting them, try renaming the files to ‘qbprint.old’ and ‘wpr.old’.
- The following step in the procedure is to run QuickBooks and open the company file.
- Once this is done, the user must choose the file and then tap on Printer Setup.
- And then, the user must select any transaction in the form name and then click on OK.
- Completing the above step will reset the printer settings in the user software.
If this method does not fix the issues then you can try another method discussed below.
Method #5: Reset the temp file/folder permissions
This method also involves two steps:
Step #1: Reset the temp file or folder permissions
Before you implement the below steps try to reboot your PC and then attempt to print or email. If it still fails then try to reset the temp folder permissions. Verify the permissions of the QuickBooks folder to the Temp folder by applying the listed steps:
- In the beginning, open the Run command or simply press the keys Windows + R from your keyboard
- Type %TEMP% and then press Enter
- Choose the Properties option by right-clicking on an empty area of the temp folder
- Go to the Security tab
- Now, confirm that all the usernames and groups visible on the Security tab which have complete access or Full Control
- When you’re done with the permissions settings to Full Control then try to save the file as a PDF once again within QuickBooks Desktop.
Read Also: QuickBooks Printer Library Error Solution Chat Now
Step #2: Verify that you can print to your XPS (Only for Save as PDF and Email issues)
Verify that you’re able to print your file to your XPS Document Writer. To save as a PDF folder, QuickBooks uses parts of the XPS Document Writer
- Open your Notepad
- Type Test and then select File >> Print
- Choose the XPS Document Writer >> Print
- Type the filename and save it to your Desktop so that you can easily able to find
- At last, go to the Desktop and see the XPS document that you printed from your Notepad.
So with this, the article ends and it is hoped that you find it useful for rectifying problems. The above-discussed methods are the easiest and quickest ways to resolve troubleshoot PDF and Print problems with QuickBooks Desktop. All the above methods are suggested by QuickBooks Experts to make it easy to handle such issues.
Get Expert’s Advice to Fix Your All Accounting & Bookkeeping Problems
What is the PDF Repair Tool in QuickBooks and how does it help in fixing technical bugs?
Ans: It is a tool designed to fix issues in Microsoft components that are encountered when you’re trying to print or while using the Print features of QuickBooks. This Tool behaves like a diagnostic for both PDF Repair Tool and Printer Repair Tool. Moreover, it can fix the issues related to Microsoft components.
What system requirements do I need to download QuickBooks PDF Repair Tool?
Ans: Follow the below-given steps:
1. Internet Connectivity is required to download this tool
2. Screen Resolution: 1024 x 768 or higher is recommended
3. Processor: 266 MHz or even faster system processor
4. Memory: 1GB of RAM, 512MB free space hard disk
5. Operating System: Windows for all versions is supported
What are the issues resolved using QuickBooks PDF Repair Tool?
Ans: QuickBooks PDF Repair Tool helps you to fix QB unrecoverable errors, PDF converter showing Offline, unable to save as .pdf file, error code 30, 41, or 20, printer yielding empty or blank prints, and many others.